Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Revelation

All the characters referred to in the below blog are fictitious and bear no resemblance with anyone living or dead whatsoever. Any co-incidence is purely co-incidental and unintentional.

For first time readers, please refer to the post, “The Brain and the Soul

Its time to get up, the time is six thirty am. Jignesh’s cell phone alarm was ringing. After thinking a lot about Jahnavi and how to tell her about Sid, he had gone to sleep late. He got up lazily rubbing his eyes, saw the time, 6:40 am. Oh Shit, got late. Hurriedly he got up and the first thing he did was to SMS Jahnavi, Hey, can we meet in the canteen before the lectures. She replied with a smile. The silent bridge of words between them was the most exhilarating form of unrequited love between them. Lectures started at 9 am. They met in the canteen at 8:45.

Jahnavi: “Good morning, you look sleepy. Slept late? Studied till late?
Jignesh: “You ask a lot of questions.”

Jahnavi giggles.
Jahnavi: “So, tell me Sir, at your service.”

She was beaming with joy as this was the first time Jignesh had called her to meet. Though she had wanted to call him many times, she could not, long live her inhibitions and Jignesh’s moronic image. But today was different and so was different Jignesh today.

Jignesh: “Hey you know I wanted to tell you something.”
Jahnavi: “I am listening.”
Jignesh: “Well you know as we are good friends. And also initially we did have some petty issues.”

He was still hunting for words, when the voice banged him from back. It was Sid there. Oh Shit, bad timing for the first time. He thought.

Sid: “Hi Guys, what’s up?”
Jahnavi: “Hi Siddharth, how are you?”
Sid: “I am great; I think its time for the lectures. Shall we, Jignesh?”

Jignesh motioned with his eyes, later, to Jahnavi. She caught it and they headed towards their respective departments. Now Jignesh was not at all able to concentrate on his lectures. He was in a dilemma, how to tell her? what if she goes away? He feared hatred and rejection. His insecurities were getting the better of him. Now she will think I am a real moron who can commit blunders independently but needs a friend to apologize, Jignesh thought. But it’s not totally my fault, for had it not been for Sid, his love for Jahnavi would have died within him. He just hoped Jahnavi to understand and realize this. Lunch break happened but they could not meet as Jignesh was called by the principal for some Biology seminar. So they had to wait for the evening coffee meet and the day seemed like ages to Jignesh and Jahnavi, who had sensed some amount of apprehension in his voice in the morning and had been wondering the whole day, What could be the matter? Why was he looking uncomfortable with Sid around? Why did he say ‘later’? These questions were making rounds in her mind. By the time the day ended and they met for coffee, they were like just about to barge into one another and finish off the matter. Jignesh had failed to muster courage to speak out, he feared losing her and Jahnavi wanted him to speak and feared losing Jignesh if he did not tell her. Seeing his composure she knew it, he will not speak, she will have to dig in, and so she spoke.

Jahnavi: “Hi How was the day?”
Jignesh: “Nothing special, yours?”
Jahnavi: “Ok types.”

Now she waited, hoping he will speak up. But he did not. And he was cursing her silence as that would mean, he will have to speak. His breaths conveyed his aggravated level of discomfort to her. So she spoke again.

Jahnavi: “I am noticing, there’s something you feel like sharing with me, but God knows why are you stopping yourself? Tell it na, what is it related to? Any tensions?”

Jignesh felt as if a gunshot was fired on his chest and he was not feeling the pain unless he saw himself bleeding. Now he had no choice. The silent bridge of words was crossed.

Jignesh: “I am in a dilemma. It’s related to us and I fear knowing it you will run away from me. Can you just take it as my weakness and my limitation and accept me the way I am. I mean see I did not mean it. I admit my part of the mistake but somehow I was helpless.”

Jahnavi was exasperated now. She could not make a head or tail of whatever he was saying. All she could make out is, there was something he wanted to share and he fears I will go away from him, knowing it. What bullshit, does he not know how I have fallen for him and how much I have started loving him. I am ready to accept him as he is whatever he has done and wants to share, Oh Lord, please make him do so. I promise I will not go away.

Jahnavi: “I need more details, Jignesh. I am not able to make any sense of what you are trying to convey. If you fear our relationship will be affected adversely knowing it then let me tell you one thing. If the relation really suffers knowing a fact, then the relation is not worth spending time on, and we should actually move on. And if the relation is really that strong and rock solid, believe me, it will not suffer, it will strengthen on the contrary. So just lighten your burden.”

Jignesh also knew this thing. But his insecurities still had an upper hand. He made one last attempt to escape confession. His soul was gasping for breath by now, but his brain was still in the controlling position.

Jignesh: “I can understand, but please can you not grant me this much liberty of knowing that whatever it is, it was my limitation and I do admit my mistake in it as well. I agree to whatever you say and your right to know is also justified, but my fear of losing you is killing me.”

Jahnavi: “Well, if that is the case, then let me tell you that, if you tell me, then there are chances I might not go away, but coming this far, now if you decide not to tell me and convince me for the same, then I will definitely go away and never come back to you, come what may.”

Jignesh knew his brain was losing, and since Jahnavi was the only child of her parents, her stubbornness was not a surprise, after all he was also no less stubborn being the only child. He finally prepares himself for the worst outcome of his confession and tells her everything about how Sid had helped him and how he had suggested him how to talk, apologize, and how Sid had shared his skills of handling girls. Jignesh admitted he used to get confused with her behavior and reaction at those debacles and then Sid used to explain him and guide him further and that they owe a lot to Sid for their relationship. Had it not been for Sid, the relation would have never nurtured so far so beautifully.

Jahnavi was listening, dumbfounded, speechless and awestruck. She could not find any words and kept pondering over whatever Jignesh had just told her. She was happy that he finally mustered courage and listened to his soul and also confessed, but his confession had far reaching repercussions. Since yesterday, dramatic colors were getting added to the hitherto black and white image of Jignesh; Jahnavi had so far developed with her own observations and analysis.

First of all, he was not boring, he acted moronic, but he lacked certain realization powers as well, which she had so far thought he possessed, but now she came to know it was Sid’s contribution that worked. But then Jignesh was truthful, honest and the moment he realized that the relation was getting serious he cleared the initial veil. This she treasured. Also everyone is not born intelligent, people tend to get matured with experiences and also learn from them. Jahnavi was happy that Jignesh had proved himself as a quick learner, this showed that he did not have ego, for ego is the biggest hurdle to learning.

Jignesh was getting wary over her silence and interpreted it wrongly. Sadly he moved out of the place, thinking he has lost her forever and will treasure whatever time he has spent with her so far. But he was feeling much lighter confessing. Jahnavi was so deeply involved in her thought process that she did not realize Jignesh leaving and by the time she did, he was gone. She sighed, smiled, and thought she will call him.

No comments: